Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sleep Depravation

Is it possible to do some of your best work when you are deprived of sleep and you are virtually running on empty?  I am in that state currently.  I haven't sleep for more than 24 hours.  I've digested a lot of Red Bull and I am quite surprised that I am still on my feel at 4:35PM in the afternoon.  I am not feeling sleepy at all.  I'm shocked!

I am a type of person who does their best work under pressure.  The pressure of sleep depravation inspired me to write about it.  I feel it's worth it to interrogate this topic.  I'm sure there are many times when we all have stayed up all night trying to cramp for an examination.  This definitely feels like that even though I'm sated with Red Bull.  I'm just waiting for the moment when I will crash hard.  But until that time I'm inspired to make my regular post today and do some other paperwork that I need to mail off tomorrow.  

It's interesting what you can do when you are given a challenge.  Lack of sleep and tasking the brain to be creative are diametrically opposed.  While it's difficult to think your best it's possible to do something you would be proud of in the writing arena.  After all it's true that you can think better when you've had adequate rest.  However for me I think that with the desire to write something I can manage to overcome the challenge even though the best creative juices aren't flowing. 

What I enjoy is worth doing even when it's difficult.

I'll read this post again next week after I've had sufficient rest so that I can see if any of this makes any sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment