Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Journalizing

Recently I started wondering how many people still keep a diary/journal.  As it pertains to kids it's probably more important to say "diary" and as for adults it's more important to say "journal."  Whichever way is preferred I wonder how many keep a daily or as close to daily account in writing of what they are feeling, ideas that come to mind or what is important to notate  in the account of one's life.  When I was growing up and still in school I did keep a diary.  As an adult I didn't continue to keep a daily account of the goings on in my life.  I don't feel that I missed anything by not doing it as I didn't feel it was a natural part of the transition into adulthood.  Therefore, the diary/journal didn't come with the territory.

I am mentoring a 5th grader at a local school.  I can't recall what made me think of it but I asked her if she has a diary.  She was baffled.  She had no clue at all about a diary.  That is why I decided to do this topic for this week.  I had to explain to her what it is and the purpose it serves.  I then wondered how many other children today do not know what a diary is and what it means.  I have been searching for a gift since her birthday is coming up later this month.  Now I have found the perfect gift.

I've found one bookstore nearby that has at least 2 different styles to choose from that come with a lock and keys.  I was a little worried that I would have a rather difficult time finding one.  I was pleased to see, although the supply is limited, that diaries haven't been completely fazed out as other favorite products have in the marketplace that we live in these days.   I could write a continuing series on favorite products that really worked that are no longer available, but I won't go down that road here.

When I present this diary to my mentee I do hope she will be able to dive right into the concept of keeping her daily life experiences and thoughts on paper.  I will help her by getting her to write something down right away after she receives it.  I hope it takes hold like a vine and continues to be an enjoyable part of her growth to adulthood as it was for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment